What are personal nonpharmaceutical interventions (NPIs)?
Personal NPIs are everyday preventive actions, apart from pharmaceutical interventions such as getting vaccinated and taking medicine that can help keep yourself and others from getting and spreading respiratory illnesses like the flu. They include:
- Staying home when you are sick.
- Covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue.
- Washing hands with soap and water or using hand sanitizer when soap and water is not available.
During a flu pandemic there are measures you can take in addition to these everyday preventive actions. They include:
- Staying home if you have been exposed to a family or household member who is sick.
- Covering your nose and mouth with a mask or cloth if you are sick and around people or at a mass gathering in a community where the pandemic is already occurring.
Public health professionals need the help of administrators for schools, workplaces, and community